Q: What does the United Church of Christ believe?
- Bottomline, we believe in God-the Creator, Transformer, and Sustainer of us all.
- We believe in Jesus Christ, who showed us God's face, heart, and intention for all creation-that fear and death don't get the last word.
- We believe in the Holy Spirit, that gives life and changes life.
- We believe, in the words of the Prophet Micah, that we're called to "love justice, do mercy, and walk humbly with God."
- We believe in taking the Bible seriously-but not literally.
- We believe, in the words of the UCC Book of Worship, in a "God of ceaseless new beginnings"-for us and for this world.
- Finally we believe that each of us individually and all of us together are called to be disciples of Jesus Christ. God wants us to live as he did, with courage, hope, and a passionate love for this world and its peoples.
For more information, check out the Unted Church of Christ's national website, ucc.org. It has information on our history, our way of understanding God, the Bible, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, and just about anything else.
Q: How do I become a member?
- Come to worship regularly for several months. Participate in education and service opportunities.
- Pray for guidance.
- Come to a newcomers' gathering.
- Let one of the Ministers or lay leaders know you're interested.
- Take time to read, reflect, and pray over the Covenant of the United Church. Is this what God is calling you to say "yes" to?
- Ask yourself if you can commit at this time in your life to being an active member by participating regularly in worship, sharing in the life and ministry of the church, and through faithful stewardship.
If now's not the time to join, you're still very welcome to share in worship and education, join in the outreach programs or participate in other ways in the community and ministry. We encourage people to take their time to discern how God is calling them at this stage of their lives. Whether as a member or a friend, you're welcome at the United Church!
“For every one who asks receives, and they who seek find, and to those who knock it will be opened.”